Building a log home
Building of a prefabricated log home saves you time and nerves. This is achieved mainly because of the short construction time of log houses and the fact that Honka delivers everything included in your house package in one delivery. One benefit of a log house is that you can build it any time of the year, even in the middle of winter.
The actual building phase will be carried out by an authorised local Honka building partner. We train our building partners ourselves, which ensures that the building process is managed professionally and efficiently all the while ensuring that all the local building regulations and practises are fulfilled.
Honka’s modern log house factory, situated in the middle of Finnish forests, has no equal. The wood raw material and the used manufacturing technologies are highly sustainable and the processes are certified. The concept behind the factory and the log house structures themselves are all Honka’s own innovations, all of which rely on the principle that nothing is wasted.
Every house is produced by order. The logs and other wooden parts are produced industrially to exact measurements. All of the other items needed for your home (roofing materials, windows, doors etc.) will also be included in the same delivery.
Furthermore, each item included in the delivery is specified, marked and included in the plan. Nothing will be missing, and the items are marked and packed in such a way that the assembly can be carried out without a hitch.
Delivery time and methods
All Honka log houses are manufactured in Finland. On average, and thanks to our effective production process, your log home will be ready for delivery within a couple of months from when you place your order. The manufacturing time may also depend somewhat on the selected fittings, which Honka will acquire from its trusted partners.
The delivery method and exact delivery time of your log house package depend on the location of your future log home. Experienced Honka staff will take care of all the required delivery and customs documents.
Usually, deliveries to locations in Europe are made using trucks or lorries. For overseas markets the most common solution is a sea container.
THE Steps and timING of the house building process
You can build a log home any time of the year, thanks to the quick and controlled building phase. While the log house package is being delivered to your site, your local Honka representative will make sure the next steps are managed effectively. You can rely on his or her expertise in any questions that may arise.
Building the house frame and assembling the roof trusses only requires a few weeks, depending on the size and complexity of your house design. This means that the later building phases inside the house can be started on time. Therefore, the overall building process of a log home is short compared to many other building solutions.
The actual building process of your log home can begin when the needed earthmoving and municipal infrastructure works at the site have been completed.
The main steps of building a log home:
- Foundation: Honka provides drawings and guidance for building the foundation base of your log home in accordance with the local building regulations. The foundation base is not normally included in the log house package delivery.
- Frame: The frame of a log house acts as a solid frame structure and a wall structure at the same time. The frame is built by mounting each log layer after another at your site.
- Roof trusses and roofing: When the frame of the house is in place, the wooden roof trusses will be lifted and attached to top of the house frame. The roof will be finished with the chosen roofing material – e.g., stone, steel or felt covering – and rain gutters.
- Windows and doors: Assembling the windows and doors will complete the structural weather protection of your house.
- Cladding and other exterior details: In the event that your log home design also includes other wall or cladding materials besides logs –stone, steel or glass, for example – these parts will be mounted in the most practical sequence depending on the chosen structure types. The log walls will be painted or protected with wood preservative. Other exterior fittings such as stairs and terraces will also be mounted in this phase.
- Interior structures and fittings: Partition walls, stairs and other interior fittings are assembled in this phase. The spaces requiring water insulation will be completed. All the necessary HVAC installations take place before the finalisation of the floor, wall and ceiling surfaces.
- Quality check: When all the installation work has been concluded, the house structures will be checked for compliance with local building regulations.